A group blog for working on UnRuly Quilting projects and most especially UnRuly Letters. What is UnRuly? Liberated, wonky, improvisational, mis-matched, points cut off FUN.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My B for Brenda

this is the B I made for Brenda. Don't know why? See previous blog post


I turned it into a challenge to come up with a style of B I hadn't made before. I wanted the bottom portion to have an extra loopy bit at the top. Makes the background of the top part a really cool backwards comma. Anyway, I was planning on curving the bottom part all the way around but forgot to do it the first time I added the left side.

Yes, I actually used a seam ripper and took the left back off. It was perfectly fine, but I wanted that "See Dick and Jane play" to be centered, not cut off. So I liked how the letter looked with the bottom flat on the left side so I didn't add a triangle when I had the chance. I was thinking of adding some extra serifs to the left side but it all got too busy.

I hope the Dick and Jane fabric has some meaning for you, Brenda. In the States those were the readers that so many of us started our schooling with. I definitely remember them and that would be the late 60s early 70s. I know the readers aren't used anymore but have no idea when they were dropped. Or if they were ever used in Canada.

I wasn't sure if that particular text fabric would be too chaotic to use in this multi-pieced letter, but it works for me anyway. I think because of the larger size of letter--it finishes 6" high and I usually work about half that size--and the really good contrast with the black background (which does have text, but it's subtle).

So make a B for Brenda if you're a fan of her blog (or just because) and try making it in a new-to-you way. Or for the first time ever... Good luck!

5 comments:

Brenda said...

ooooooohhhhhh, I like it! I'm turning 50, so I'm a bit young for those Dick and Jane readers, but I love the fabrics anyway. but yes, Dick and Jane were big in Canada as well, just before I got to school. thanks so much!

Tonya Ricucci said...

hey, I'm younger than you! just by 3 1/2 years... but we were still using them in school. glad you like it!

Michele Bilyeu said...

Awesome B! At 61, even growing up on an island in Alaska, we had Dick and Jane and Spot and ...dang, what was their cat's name??? Did they have a cat?

Sharon said...

Wow, great B! Very inspiring too. I'm getting ready to go make a B for Brenda too. New-to-me, huh? Thinking.....

Tonya Ricucci said...

oh, they had a cat. Puff. the only reason I know that is because it's on the fabric.