A group blog for working on UnRuly Quilting projects and most especially UnRuly Letters. What is UnRuly? Liberated, wonky, improvisational, mis-matched, points cut off FUN.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Liberated Amish 2012

Tonya here. Okay, let's do it: Liberated Amish 2012. Take an inspirational Amish quilt and liberate it.
 
Some of us did this once before (with a few more rules), so you can take a look at the great quilts posted in the original blog and Flickr pool

For this year's challenge, we will:

1. Each pick an Amish quilt to be our starting point. (or you can mash a couple together...). You can pick one from the Faith and Stephen Brown collection if you want to (in other words, that's optional this time).
 
2. Make the quilt liberated. You can do that ala Gwen Marston or Gee's Bend or... But the goal is not to have a duplicate of the original with slight changes (like using printed fabric instead of solids). Go for wonky, unruly, playful etc. And don't give me a heart attack by trying to match things up and keep all the points pointy....

The goal is to complete the top by the end of June. It can be any size you want. The official start date is February, but I've already begun mine!




 I'll tell you more about it in another blog post...
 
Any questions? Just ask.

16 comments:

Elaine M said...

Oh what fun, I'm in! Love your colors!

Nifty Quilts said...

Sounds good! I'm in.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Woohoo! I'm on the list!! Okay, now what to do.. You're off to a great start there!!

Twisted Quilts said...

I got my book today. I can't wait to get started.

KQ Sue said...

Ok, I'm in! So now what?

Cheryl Willis said...

I'm in, I have been wanting to do something with solids. My biggest problem sewing wonky is I am so darn good at points (just kidding).

cheryl from MO

deborah said...

I can't even match points when I'm trying..I'm the Imperfect Piecer, so I'm in too. Been wanting to play with solids too!

antique quilter said...

oh love yours so far, oh should I jump in even though I am still struggling with jumping over to the wonky side :) that I just so admire?
Kathie

Julie Bagamary said...

Can it be small and fused?

Kathy in FL said...

I'm in. Now to decide on what to use as my inspiration...

Diane said...

Oh yeah!!! Count me in too.

Yvonne said...

Count me in as well.

linda said...

I'd love to play!! Count me in!

Sewhappy said...

This does sound good fun. I have picked out a pattern, this is great

Carol E. said...

I'll try. I'm picking one that will be a real challenge for me. I ordered that book, but it hasn't come yet, so I looked at that link of the Brown collection. I'm wishing myself luck! Right now I have NO idea what I'll do!

Michele Bilyeu said...

I am creating a small format art quilt based on Gwen's first Liberated Quilting book that I began as part of Clare's Liberated Quilters Yahoo Message Board. It will still be old fashioned, not modern, as seen in Gwen's early books, as I am using some really old fabrics and colors most of you shy away from...browns! But Gwen has been using a lot of them, lately, just in different ways..and that's my goal. Very small, browns, artsy..will finish it up time for the deadline. Late start, late finish but I'm still in to for a finish ;)